So, I want to talk a little bit about how the unconscious influences everything from our point of view, our motives, as well as our choices. What does this have to do with symbolism? Well, symbols are the language of the unconscious. If we understand our own unconscious (or our unawareness) then we get a better sense about where our motives and irrational (or crazy) behavior is coming from.
I assume that when people are acting according to their values, then they are being rationale human beings. But our crazy or irrational behavior is more connected to our unconscious. For any of those who want to be defensive and claim that you have never acted irrationally – bzzz, you’re out, thanks for playing. I think this is the epitome of a lack of self awareness. Whether, you have been angry, been in love, whether or not you have said exactly the wrong thing at the wrong moment, or been seduced into buying something that you don’t really need, this is all irrational. When my son was little he once asked me if I thought Einstein was a pretty smart guy. I responded that I thought he was and he replied, “Why did he smoke then?” Everyone has “blind spots”, weaknesses, or an Achilles heel.
As far as I can tell, a neurosis is when our sense of what we should or should not do is violated by our behavior. In those moments there seems as though there are two of us. Sometimes we ruminate and struggle with the internal conflict, sometimes it’s so fast and subtle that we don’t even notice it. Everything from our diet, our spending habits, drinking, sex, TV, to our driving and our work habits displays our personal neurosis. Moments when we have a sense about what we should or should not do, and it doesn’t matter. We do “what we want”. Who wants to? I thought we believed that buying things off the infomercials was beneath us. Who planted that tree to close to the property line? And why did we think it wasn’t important for our spouse to know about that?
When we become aware of a neurosis, we wonder who is “driving the train”? What exactly is going on, and what did get into us? I guess sometimes we just get carried away? So that’s it, having an awareness that even though I should help with the dinner dishes, or not get so possessive about my seat on the airplane, in that moment, my morals don’t matter, I’m just going to get what I want. This is the best sense that at times we are of two minds or have competing motives.
I don’t think symbols are just figures that are written on rocks, temple walls, or old parchments, they are also dynamics (interactions) in everyday life. For example, did you ever have the same argument over and over again with someone. You go around and around over the same issue. Sometimes for weeks, sometimes for months or even years. No resolution, no peace, it becomes so well known between you both that only a few words have to be spoken and the whole argument has taken place within just seconds. You know your position, the other person’s position, what you will say in response to them and what they will say in response to you.
It can be about money, the kids, where you live, why I don’t pick up after myself, how I deal with my department, on and on and on. The symbol for this might be the eternal circle. A circle that you and the other person are creating as you get so “wrapped up” (what exactly from the unconscious is wrapping you up?) in the conflict, that you really believe the other person is the problem, rather than a weakness within yourself.
You see the circle can be very protective. You might wonder what the circle of conflict with the other person is protecting you from? I think its protecting me from a side of myself that would be very threatening for me to see. I like the part in the bible that says,
“And why beholdest thou the mote that is in they brother’s eye, but considerst not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy borther’s eye.
I think that when anyone who has a sense of their own neurosis might not be so prone to be caught in the circle. The intimate connection, hate or love, provides a kind of container within which projection or sides of ourselves that we can’t stand can be seen in others. I imagine the connection like two people inside a bottle with a cork in it. The interaction continues to accumulate energy until something has to give. Getting out of the container takes a lot of effort and acceptance of the negative qualities about myself.
I will leave you with something to watch in yourself. Find moments or situations where you are crazy. For me, this often happens when I am driving or spending money. As you find moments when your behavior doesn’t line up with you beliefs or values, don’t be too quick to “forgive and forget”. Consider what it is about yourself that you are unaware of, that is compelling you and influencing you to do something crazy.
Tomorrow I will talk about the seven deadly sins, or the seven planets of Jupiter, Mars, Venus, The Moon, The Sun, Mercury, and Saturn.
No comments:
Post a Comment